CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Existing research on the co-occurrence of personality disorders and either alcohol misuse or depressive symptomatology is very limited, even though associations between alcohol abuse and depression have been widely studied. This brief, advanced-level continuing education course, developed using research from BMC Psychiatry, gives a summary of two large randomized controlled trials that addressed the complex interaction between personality disorder cluster scores, alcohol misuse, and depressive symptoms. Background, methods, results, and a discussion of the findings are presented.
1. Discuss characteristics and treatment needs of individuals with co-morbid alcohol misuse and mental health disorders.
2. Recite the limitations of existing research on the co-occurrence of personality disorders and either alcohol misuse or depressive symptomatology.
3. Explain the components of the randomized controlled clinical trials coordinated by the Centre for Brain and Mental Health Research.
4. Describe the study’s data sources, design and participants, measures, and data analysis.
5. List baseline demographic, symptomatology and substance use data, personality disorder characteristics, and treatment outcome measures.
6. Assess how study results strengthen the understanding of the complexities associated with co-occurring alcohol misuse, depressive symptoms and personality disorder.
7. Identify limitations of the study as well as recommendations for future research and clinical practice.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.