This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 6.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
The development of culturally responsive clinical skills is vital to the effectiveness of behavioral health services. This intermediate level continuing education course was developed using information from SAMSHA’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment to demonstrate how culturally responsive skills can improve client engagement in services, therapeutic relationships between clients and providers, and treatment retention and outcomes. An introduction to cultural competence is provided as well as core competencies for counselors and other clinical staff. Additionally, steps to provide culturally responsive evaluation and treatment planning are summarized.
CE Course Objectives
1. Define cultural competence, discuss its importance, and examine how it is achieved.
2. Differentiate between culture, race, ethnicity, and cultural identity and describe the cross-cutting factors in race, ethnicity, and culture.
3. Identify core competencies for counselors and other clinical staff and summarize the characteristics of culturally competent counselors.
4. Examine how culturally competent counselors engage clients and familiarize them with treatment and evaluation processes.
5. Evaluate ways to integrate culturally relevant information and themes in the therapeutic process and to gather culturally relevant collateral information.
6. Discuss the selection of culturally appropriate screening and assessment tools as well as strategies to incorporate cultural factors into treatment planning.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.