CE Credit Hours: 8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
American Indians and Alaska Natives have consistently experienced disparities in access to behavioral healthcare services, and availability and accessibility of such services continue to be major barriers to recovery for these populations. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is to illustrate strategies for facilitating American Indian and Alaska Native individuals’ access to and engagement in behavioral health services and to outline promising practices for providers to apply in working with American Indians and Alaska Natives. In addition, several vignettes are presented that demonstrate specific knowledge and clinical skills necessary for providing effective counseling to American Indians and Alaska Natives across behavioral health settings.
CE Course Description
1. Summarize American Indian and Alaska Native history, historical trauma, and critical cultural perspectives on such key topics as health beliefs and help-seeking behaviors.
2. Outline American Indian and Alaska Native demographics, social challenges, and behavioral health issues.
3. Identify how and to what extent a client’s cultural background affects his or her behavioral health needs and concerns.
4. Discuss strategies to expand providers’ cultural awareness, competence and culture-specific knowledge.
5. Evaluate specific treatment interventions, including traditional American Indian and Alaska Native interventions and cultural adaptations of standard treatment and prevention strategies.
6. Review practical vignettes that demonstrate client’s concerns and treatment needs as well as specific knowledge and clinical skills necessary for providing effective interventions.
7. Analyze practical suggestions and guidance for key stages in the provider–client relationship.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.