This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing disorder characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use despite adverse consequences, and it is considered a brain disorder, because it involves functional changes to brain circuits that may last a long time after a person has stopped taking drugs. This brief, intermediate level continuing education course was developed using information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to provide an updated overview of drug abuse and addiction. Reasons why individuals use and abuse drugs are presented as well as the impact of drugs on the brain, drug prevention and treatment strategies, and health and personal consequences of drug abuse. The ways in drug abuse impacts adolescents is also discussed, as this is a particularly vulnerable age for substance experimentation and abuse.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the harmful consequences of drug abuse and addiction for people of all ages.
2. Describe the functional changes that occur in the brain as the result of drug use.
3. Discuss specific vulnerabilities that adolescents face in regards to substance use and its effects.
4. Evaluate how drugs can alter important brain areas that are necessary for life-sustaining functions and can drive the compulsive drug abuse that marks addiction.
5. Outline strategies to treat drug addiction and to promote recovery, including medication use and behavioral health interventions.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.