CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
People may face unique issues when it comes to substance use, as a result of both sex and gender. This intermediate level continuing education course, which was developed using information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), addresses unique characteristics and issues pertaining to substance misuse among women. The reason women use drugs, how they respond, and the way that substance use disorders manifest in women compared to men are discussed as well as sex and gender differences in substance use disorder treatment. In addition, a summary of how specific drugs impact women is presented as well as an overview of the how substance use impacts pregnant and breastfeeding women. Finally, the need to include women in clinical research related to substance misuse is examined.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Identify unique characteristics of women as well as circumstances and issues they face that may impact substance use and misuse.
2. Compare and contrastmen and women in regard to use patterns, effects, and consequences of specific drugs.
3. Describe the impact of substance misuse among pregnant and breastfeeding women, including how various drugs may impact the fetus and the newborn.
4. Differentiate between sex and gender differences in substance use disorder treatment, including unique barriers to treatment that women face.
5. Determine how the presence of co-occurring disorders, violence victimization, and race and ethnicity influence substance misuse among women.
6. Discuss factors that have hindered female participation in research as well as the importance of including women in clinical research related to substance misuse and other health issues that impact them.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-07-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.