CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule provides consumers with important privacy rights and protections with respect to their health information, including important controls over how their health information is used and disclosed by health plans and health care providers. This intermediate continuing education course was developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Office for Civil Rights to provide information about when it is appropriate under the Privacy Rule for a health care provider to share the protected health information of a patient. Specific considerations addressed are appropriate communication with a patient’s family members, friends, or others involved in the patient’s care, considerations regarding the patient’s capacity to agree or object to the sharing of their information, and when to communicate with family members, law enforcement, or others when the patient presents a serious and imminent threat of harm to self or others. Additionally, relevant reminders about related issues, such as a parent’s right to access the protected health information of a minor child, the potential applicability of Federal alcohol and drug abuse confidentiality regulations and state laws, and the intersection of HIPAA and FERPA in a school setting are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss HIPAA regulations regarding communication with a patient’s family members, friends, or others involved in the patient’s care as well as with parents and caregivers of minor patients.
2. Identify instances when mental illness or other mental conditions constitute incapacity under the Privacy Rule.
3. Describe what HIPAA says about when to communicate with family members, law enforcement, or others when the patient presents a serious and imminent threat of harm to self or others.
4. Assess parents’ and caregivers’ rights to access the protected health information of minor children as well as potential applicability of Federal and state alcohol and drug abuse confidentiality regulations.
5. Summarize HIPAA regulations pertaining to the sharing of protected health information among health care providers who are treating the same individual.
6. Discuss how the Privacy Rule and the HIPAA Security Rule safeguard electronic health information.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-10-03
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.