CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
In recent decades, increased technology use has become a part of daily life for adolescents, and intensive gaming and social media use have frequently been linked to the development of addictive-like behaviors among youth. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Journal of Behavioral Addictions, is to analyze findings from a longitudinal study that examined whether internet gaming disorder (IGD) and social media disorder (SMD) predict a decline in life satisfaction, perceived social capability, and learning outcomes over time among adolescents. A discussion of whether IGD and SMD should be regarded as behavioral addictions and whether the current IGD and SMD criteria adequately distinguish highly engaged, non-disordered users of games and social media from disordered users is included as well as an overview of the symptoms of IGD and SMD.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Evaluate the need to better understand the impact of internet gaming disorder (IGD) and social media disorder (SMD) on adolescent development.
2. Describe the core criteria used to define IGD and SMD along with the negative consequences of these disorders.
3. Summarize methods and findings from a longitudinal study examining whether IGD and SMD predict a decline in life satisfaction, perceived social capability, and learning outcomes over time among adolescents.
4. Discuss whether IGD and SMD should be regarded as behavioral addictions and whether the current IGD and SMD criteria adequately distinguish highly engaged, non-disordered users of games and social media from disordered users.
5. Differentiate between the symptoms of internet gaming disorder and social media disorder and discuss how boys and girls are impacted differently.
6. Identify study conclusions and implications for further research.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-11-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.