CE Credit Hours: 8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
In the past three decades, the addiction treatment field has focused on discovering and applying science-informed practices that help people with SUDs enhance their motivation to stop or reduce alcohol, drug, and nicotine use. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is to explore why people change, how motivation is linked to substance use behavior change, and how clinicians can help clients enhance their motivation to engage in substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and initiate recovery. In addition, a summary of the nature of motivation and behavior change is presented as well as an overview of the shift away from abstinence-only addiction treatment perspectives toward client-centered approaches that enhance motivation and reduce risk.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the significance of motivation in substance use behavior change and essential counselor skills that enhance client motivation to change.
2. Discuss the components of the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) of the Stages of Change (SOC) approach and how to tailor specific counseling strategies to the different stages.
3. Summarize the elements of effective motivational counseling approaches and discuss the use of brief motivational interventions.
4. Identify new approaches that have been incorporated into motivational interviewing (MI) and how MI can be applicable to diverse medical and behavioral health problems.
5. Outline way that counselors can use MI to help clients move toward contemplating the possibility of change and then preparing to change substance use behaviors.
6. Describe the process of helping clients identify and clarify change goals and evaluate how and when to develop a change plan.
7. Assess how motivational strategies can be used effectively to help clients maintain the gains they have made by stabilizing change, supporting lifestyle changes, and managing setbacks.
8. Discuss how to incorporate motivational approaches into SUD treatment programs as well as workforce development issues that should be addressed to fully integrate and sustain these approaches.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.