This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Violence against intimate partners is a worldwide problem and it is associated with an increased risk of mental illness and distress. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from numerous studies on intimate partner violence (IPV), is to investigate the relationship between domestic violence and mental illness, to analyze the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral group therapy (CBGT) for male perpetrators of IPV, and to determine the success of couple therapy in reducing violence in relationships. Associations between the severity of abuse and measures of mental and physical health and quality of life are addressed, as well as an update on current evidence evaluating the efficacy of CBGT on men’s violent behavior toward their female partner. In addition, findings from studies determining if IPV can be significantly reduced through couple therapy are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the prevalence, characteristics, and consequences of intimate partner violence, including the impact on individuals and couples.
2. Differentiate between gender-specific therapy and couple therapy to treat victims and perpetrators of IPV.
3. Outline the methods, analysis, results, limitations, and future implications of numerous studies on the ramifications of domestic violence and abuse as well as the effectiveness of various treatment methods to treat IPV.
4. Investigate associations between the severity of abuse and measures of mental/physical health and quality of life.
5. Summarize current evidence pertaining to the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral group therapy on men’s violent behavior toward their female partners.
6. Describe how IPV treatment may fail to meet the needs of those experiencing intimate partner violence, such as by neglecting the subset of victims/ perpetrators who wish to remain together.
7. Evaluate the results of a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the effectiveness of couple therapy in reducing violence in relationships.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.