This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
During the past 50 years, numerous sources have reported a worldwide increase in prevalence rates of mental disorders and in prescription rates of psychoactive medication among children and adolescents. The purpose of this brief, intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, is to evaluate literature on the topic of overdiagnosis of mental disorders in children and adolescents to determine prevalence and reasons for overdiagnosis. Findings concerning diagnostician, informant and child/adolescent characteristics are summarized, as well as factors concerning diagnostic criteria and the health care system that can lead to mistakes in the routine diagnostic process resulting in misdiagnoses.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the evidence for the increase in prevalence rates of mental disorders among children and adolescents.
2. Identify factors that might cause misdiagnoses in child and adolescent mental disorders.
3. Describe how diagnostician, informant, and child/adolescent characteristics can impact the diagnosis of mental health issues in youth.
4. Evaluate how health policy constraints may influence premature diagnoses in children and adolescents.
5. Summarize specific study findings evaluating overdiagnosis in youth.
6. Consider how these study findings may impact daily practice and further research.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.