CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Research continues to accumulate on how enhancing protective factors early in a child’s life can protect against a multitude of risks, including substance misuse. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Institute on Drug Abuse, is to address the specific ways in which early interventions can have positive effects on development and can target individual, family, school, and community precursors of drug use, abuse, and addiction. Summaries of specific, research-based early childhood interventions are presented as well as resources to support prevention–related initiatives.
CE Course Objectives
1. Outline principles that address the specific ways in which early interventions can have positive effects on child development.
2. Discuss how early childhood experiences, along with exposure to risk and protective factors in early years, impacts substance abuse and prevention.
3. Summarize the components of the Logic Model for Intervening in Early Childhood to Prevent Drug Abuse.
4. Review various research-based early intervention substance abuse prevention programs that span the prenatal to transition to school developmental periods.
5. Differentiate between universal, selective, and tiered intervention programs at each developmental level.
6. Identify how theory, observation, and behavioral studies are used to provide the rationale for designing and implementing intervention programs.
7. Describe necessary steps taken prior to selecting and implementing an intervention.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.