CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) students continue to face inequalities and barriers in mental health care and in higher education when it comes to accessing culturally appropriate services. This intermediate continuing education course, developed using information from Social Sciences Journal, highlights how barriers to accessing mental health support for ethnic minorities directly impact attainment outcomes and psychological well-being. Additionally, it examines study findings regarding the impact of negotiating racial inequality and discrimination in the university environment and the impact upon mental health. Specific aspects considered include the impact of belonging, isolation, and marginalization on mental health and how this consequently affects university participation for BME students.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Identify inequalities and barriers that Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) individuals continue to experience within the mental health system and in university settings.
2. Discuss study findings examining the impact of negotiating racial inequality and discrimination at universities and the impact upon mental health.
3. Compare the experiences of BME ethnic minority students who are experiencing mental health issues to those of white students, and highlight their perceptions when encountering mental health professionals.
4. Describe the causes of inequalities within the mental health care system for BME individuals as well as hindrances to help-seeking and solutions to remedy the problem.
5. Evaluate mental health services that are generally available within university settings and recommendations to improve these services for BME students.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-08-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.