CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Reducing frequent and intense anger and its destructive consequences can lead to improved physical and mental health of individuals and families. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is to outline the components of a 12-week cognitive–behavioral anger management group treatment model for substance abuse and mental health clients who are experiencing anger control issues. Elements of weekly sessions are described in detail with specific instructions for group leaders, tables and exhibits that illustrate the key conceptual components of the treatment, and between-session challenges for group members. In addition, a brief outline of research demonstrating clinically significant anger reduction effects as a result of CBT interventions is presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Recognize the purpose, conceptual framework, and rationale for anger management treatment.
2. Discuss the payoffs, consequences, and myths associated with the inappropriate expression of anger.
3. Learn to analyze and identify an anger episode and the events that indicate an escalation of anger.
4. Exhibit an understanding of cognitive behavioral strategies for controlling anger including cognitive restructuring and thought stopping.
5. Review the Conflict Resolution Model of anger management and learn to recognize assertive responses to anger rather than aggressive or passive responses.
6. Examine the relationship between responses to anger and past familial interactions and how one's past has influenced thoughts, feelings, and attitudes.
7. Identify how anger management group leaders can encourages and support efforts to develop anger control plans and to balance cognitive, behavioral, immediate, and preventive strategies.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2020-01-02
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.