CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Although mental health concerns about youth are well-documented, few reports about how youth perceive mental health interactions are written. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the PLOS ONE journal, is to summarize interviews with young people who participated in a universal mental health promotion program. The intent is to address mental health in terms relevant to youth while giving them a safe space for reflection, role-play, and discussion and to learn more about their experiences.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the components of the universal mental health promotion program, Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM).
2. Describe professional habits and biases that may hinder the clinician’s ability to understand the experiences of youth.
3. Summarize results of interviews conducted by mental health researchers with youth about YAM and mental health.
4. Outline the categories of youth experiences that were observed and summarize the types of interactions that occurred between the clinicians and the youth.
5. Discuss how youth perceive and react to language and terminology used by clinical professionals, and how power differences can easily occur.
6. Evaluate the degree to which the YAM experience provides youth with a safe space for play and discussion.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-06-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.