This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
While understanding the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth is critical to promoting their healthy development and creating safe and supportive environments, collecting accurate data on their identities and complex personal characteristics is particularly challenging. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from Child Trends, is to summarize recent efforts to develop more valid and reliable measures of adolescent sexual orientation and gender identity. Results from expert panel research and experience, cognitive interviews, and field tests are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss how sexual orientation and gender identity development impacts adolescents.
2. Define sexual orientation and gender and outline previous strategies for asking adolescents about sexual orientation and gender.
3. Identify expert panel recommendations to measure sexual orientation, to test sexual identity survey items, and to assess sexual attraction and perceived sexual orientation.
4. Summarize findings from cognitive interviews assessing whether respondents of survey items understand the questions being asked and are able to answer them.
5. Examine pilot test results analyzing sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) items in the dimensions of prevalence, item nonresponse, item bias, and internal validity.
6. Recognize implications for researchers and professionals as they explore measures of sexual orientation and gender identity to improve outcomes for youth.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.