CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
While understanding the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth is critical to promoting their healthy development and creating safe and supportive environments, collecting accurate data on their identities and complex personal characteristics is particularly challenging. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from Child Trends, is to summarize recent efforts to develop more valid and reliable measures of adolescent sexual orientation and gender identity. Results from expert panel research and experience, cognitive interviews, and field tests are presented.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss how sexual orientation and gender identity development impacts adolescents.
2. Define sexual orientation and gender and outline previous strategies for asking adolescents about sexual orientation and gender.
3. Identify expert panel recommendations to measure sexual orientation, to test sexual identity survey items, and to assess sexual attraction and perceived sexual orientation.
4. Summarize findings from cognitive interviews assessing whether respondents of survey items understand the questions being asked and are able to answer them.
5. Examine pilot test results analyzing sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) items in the dimensions of prevalence, item nonresponse, item bias, and internal validity.
6. Recognize implications for researchers and professionals as they explore measures of sexual orientation and gender identity to improve outcomes for youth.
This course expires on 01/01/2023
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-02-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: email@example.com or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.