This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 12.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Many individuals who seek treatment in behavioral health settings have histories of trauma, but they often don’t recognize the impact it has on their lives. Additionally, treatment providers may fail to elicit a detailed trauma history or may struggle with the skills needed to address these issues. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, provides an overview of specific trauma-informed intervention and treatment principles that guide clinicians and other behavioral health professionals. It summarizes the nature of traumatic experiences, covers various types of trauma, addresses the socioecological and cultural factors that influence the impact of trauma, and discusses trauma-related stress reactions and associated symptoms. Additionally, assessment and screening processes, clinical issues, and specific treatment models for trauma are outlined.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the variety of ways that substance abuse, mental health, and trauma interact, and the importance of context and culture in a person’s response to trauma.
2. Discuss specific trauma informed intervention and treatment principles that guide clinicians, other behavioral health workers, and administrators.
3. Distinguish among traumas that affect individuals, groups, and communities and describe trauma characteristics.
4. Exhibit an understanding of the impact of trauma, trauma related stress reactions, and associated symptoms.
5. Identify screening and assessment processes and tools that are useful in evaluating trauma exposure, its effects, and client intervention and treatment needs.
6. Summarize clinical issues that counselors and other behavioral health professionals encounter and when treating clients who have histories of trauma.
7. Differentiate between specific treatment models that treat trauma alone and those which address substance use disorders, mental disorders, and trauma simultaneously.
8. Review case illustrations, exhibits, and other practical information that will help professionals as they implement trauma-informed services.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.