This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 6.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
The nation’s opioid epidemic continues to compromise the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities. The purpose of this intermediate continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is to provide an overview of clinical guidance for treating pregnant and parenting women with opioid use disorder (OUD) and their infants. The information, based on recommendations of experts reviewing the limited evidence available for this population, summarizes characteristics of individuals with OUD, pharmacotherapy for pregnant women with OUD, and clinically appropriate actions for particular circumstances facing the mother and infant. In addition, treatment barriers, comorbid behavioral health disorders, management of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS), and maternal postnatal care for mothers with OUD are discussed.
CE Course Objectives
1. Summarize the characteristics of opioid use disorder (OUD), its epidemiology, and barriers to treatment for pregnant and parenting women with OUD.
2. Discuss screening and assessment considerations for pregnant women with OUD.
3. Evaluate the benefits and uses of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) and evidence-based behavioral interventions for OUD among pregnant and parenting women.
4. Identify comorbid behavioral health disorders that occur among women with OUD and considerations related to polysubstance use during pregnancy.
5. Outline factors that contribute to Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) and discuss screening/assessment and management of NAS.
6. Describe recommendations for maternal postpartum care for mothers with OUD including pharmacotherapy dose adjustment, discharge planning, and risk evaluation for returning to substance misuse.
7. Determine steps that can be taken at the clinic, community, and stakeholder level to stay engaged in the treatment process for pregnant and parenting women with OUD.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.