CE Credit Hours: 6.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
The nation’s opioid epidemic continues to compromise the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities. The purpose of this intermediate continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is to provide an overview of clinical guidance for treating pregnant and parenting women with opioid use disorder (OUD) and their infants. The information, based on recommendations of experts reviewing the limited evidence available for this population, summarizes characteristics of individuals with OUD, pharmacotherapy for pregnant women with OUD, and clinically appropriate actions for particular circumstances facing the mother and infant. In addition, treatment barriers, comorbid behavioral health disorders, management of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS), and maternal postnatal care for mothers with OUD are discussed.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Summarize the characteristics of opioid use disorder (OUD), its epidemiology, and barriers to treatment for pregnant and parenting women with OUD.
2. Discuss screening and assessment considerations for pregnant women with OUD.
3. Evaluate the benefits and uses of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) and evidence-based behavioral interventions for OUD among pregnant and parenting women.
4. Identify comorbid behavioral health disorders that occur among women with OUD and considerations related to polysubstance use during pregnancy.
5. Outline factors that contribute to Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) and discuss screening/assessment and management of NAS.
6. Describe recommendations for maternal postpartum care for mothers with OUD including pharmacotherapy dose adjustment, discharge planning, and risk evaluation for returning to substance misuse.
7. Determine steps that can be taken at the clinic, community, and stakeholder level to stay engaged in the treatment process for pregnant and parenting women with OUD.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-07-02
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: email@example.com or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.