This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
In recent years, the abuse of opioids such as prescription pain medications and heroin has become a growing epidemic in many States and communities, and rural areas continue to be among the hardest hit by the opioid crisis. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is to explore the unique factors of implementing Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) in rural primary care settings, as well as the evidence and availability of tools needed to implement MAT. Characteristics of opioid use disorders are discussed, as well as specific factors that impact opioid use in rural communities. In addition, benefits and challenges of implementing MAT in rural communities, strategies to overcome these challenges, and promising MAT models used in rural settings are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the growing epidemic of opioid abuse in the United States, and how rural communities have been impacted.
2. Identify the components of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) to treat opioid use disorders, and the benefits and challenges of implementing MAT in rural communities.
3. Describe workforce and training barriers as well as provider knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs that may impede the provider's willingness to provide MAT.
4. Assess how stigma surrounding addiction and logistical barriers impact treatment for opioid use disorders in rural communities.
5. Evaluate the importance of health information technology and telehealth in rural health care and how to overcome challenges to its use.
6. Outline the characteristics of promising MAT models that can be implemented in rural settings.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.