CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Although smoking rates in the United States have declined substantially, these rates are still too high and they disproportionately impact many vulnerable populations. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, is to summarize the scope of tobacco use, its cost to society, its effects and consequences, and how specific individuals are impacted by the use of cigarettes and other nicotine products. Treatments for tobacco dependence are discussed as well as prevention strategies and research efforts to better understand nicotine addiction.
CE Course Objectives
1. Summarize the scope of tobacco use in the United States and how cigarette, nicotine, and e-cigarette use impacts society.
2. Discuss the addictive properties of nicotine, and how tobacco and tobacco products deliver their effects.
3. Identify the physical health consequences of tobacco use and public health concerns pertaining to secondhand and thirdhand smoke.
4. Describe how vulnerable populations are disproportionately impacted by tobacco and nicotine use, as well as trends in the use of e-cigarettes and other tobacco products.
5. Review treatment approaches to support smoking cessation, and outline prevention strategies at the school, community, and regulatory level.
6. Evaluate how research and scientific developments can improve our understanding of nicotine addiction and improve treatment and prevention efforts.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-03-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.