This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
When two disorders or illnesses occur in the same person, simultaneously or sequentially, and the illnesses interact, they are described as comorbid. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), provides information on the state of the science in the comorbidity of substance use disorders with mental illness and physical health conditions. Commentary on why there is comorbidity between substance use disorders and mental illnesses is presented as well as an overview of diagnosis and treatment for comorbid disorders. Additionally, co-occurring substance use disorder and physical comorbidities are discussed along with and the connection between substance use disorders and HIV. Lastly, barriers to comprehensive treatment for individuals with co-occurring disorders are examined.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the connection between substance use disorders and mental illness, including prevalence, characteristics, and causality.
2. Identify common risk factors that contribute to both mental illness and substance use and addiction and how mental illness can contribute to substance misuse and vice versa.
3. Discuss approaches to diagnosis of comorbid disorders as well as treatments for comorbid substance use disorder and mental health conditions.
4. Provide an overview of the relationship between substance use disorder and chronic physical health conditions, including chronic pain, cancer, and heart disease.
5. Summarize the connection between substance use disorders and HIV, and discuss prevention and treatment methods.
6. Examine barriers to comprehensive treatment for individuals with co-occurring disorders and ways to address them.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.