CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
Suicide is a serious public health problem that can have lasting harmful effects on individuals, families, and communities, and effective prevention strategies are needed to promote awareness of suicide while also promoting prevention, resilience, and a commitment to social change. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Center for Mental Health in Schools at UCLA, focuses on suicide among young people, including a summarization of basic facts and statistics, common myths, risk and protective factors, prevention efforts and actions, and public health concerns around youth behavioral health and suicide. In addition, the roles of family, schools, and communities in suicide prevention are discussed as well as specific strategies for managing suicidal crises.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Differentiate between myths and facts pertaining to suicidal thoughts and behaviors among young people.
2. Discuss individual, relational, community, and societal factors that contribute to the risk of suicide or buffer individuals from suicidal tendencies.
3. Identify national, community-level, and school wide suicide prevention strategies and outline efforts to improve these endeavors.
4. Evaluate the unique opportunities that schools have to address the behavioral health of young people and how they can best take action to prevent tragedies such as suicide.
5. Describe how public health entities can use a population approach to improve health on a large scale, including the behavioral health of youth.
6. Review examples of models, research, guides, and criteria for developing youth suicide prevention strategies and practices.
7. Summarize specific information pertaining to mood and emotional regulation among young people, including that which is developmentally appropriate and that which meets the criteria of a mental disorder.
8. Discuss specific strategies for dealing with a suicidal crisis in the moment and during the aftermath.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-11-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: email@example.com or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.