Course #: 06-476
Price: $36.00Take the Exam
CE Credit Hours: 6.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
This intermediate level continuing education course was developed using information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report in order to present an overview of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including Hepatitis C, HIV, diseases characterized by genital, anal, and perianal ulcers, and syphilis. The guidelines presented in this report are intended to assist healthcare providers as they provide individuals with STD treatment, prevention strategies, and diagnostic recommendations. Clinical guidance, emerging issues, and factors pertaining to special populations are presented along with screening, assessment, and care strategies for clients and their partners. Additionally, the importance of including behavioral and psychosocial services, especially for alcohol and drug addiction and for mental health problems, is discussed.
CEU Course Objectives
1. List the CDC guidelines to assist healthcare providers in preventing and treating STDs, including the five major prevention and care strategies.
2. Describe practices to assess STD behavioral and biologic risk, while also obtaining sexual histories and addressing risk reduction.
3. Discuss specific prevention methods for individuals and their partners.
4. Identify particular STD prevention and treatment needs of special populations such as pregnant women, adolescents, corrections populations, men who have sex with men, women who have sex with women, and transgender individuals.
5. Assess pertinent issues as well as unique needs facing those with HIV infection, and discuss detection, counseling, treatment, and referral.
6. Demonstrate the importance of including behavioral and psychosocial services, especially for alcohol and drug addiction and for mental health problems, for those with STDs.
7. Identify the stages, diagnostic approaches, therapeutic recommendations, and special care needs for individuals with syphilis.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2015-12-31
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.