This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Substance abuse costs Americans billions of dollars a year in increased health care costs, crime, and lost productivity, and each year, illicit and prescription drugs and alcohol contribute to the death of more than 90,000 Americans, while tobacco is linked to an estimated 480,000 deaths per year. This brief, intermediate level continuing education course was developed using information from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and provides an overview of drug abuse and addiction. Risk and protective factors are presented as well as the impact of drugs on the brain, drug prevention and treatment strategies, and health and personal consequences of drug abuse. The ways in drug abuse impacts adolescents is also discussed, as this is a particularly vulnerable age for substance experimentation and abuse.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify the harmful consequences of drug abuse and addiction for people of all ages.
2. Discuss risk and protective factors of drug abuse and addiction, and how environmental, biological, and other factors increase the risk for addiction.
3. Evaluate ways that prevention programs can be effective in reducing drug abuse, and identify how research-based progra[PH1] ms work to boost protective factors and reduce risk factors for drug use.
4. Describe how drugs can alter important brain areas that are necessary for life-sustaining functions and can drive the compulsive drug abuse that marks addiction.
5. Outline strategies to treat drug addiction and to promote recovery, including medication use and behavioral health interventions.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.