CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
Current evidence demonstrates that medications are underused in the treatment of alcohol use disorder, including alcohol abuse and dependence, although particular medications have been shown to be effective in the management of alcohol dependence or the prevention of relapse to alcohol use. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, is to provide a guide for practitioners who are considering medication use for the treatment of alcohol use disorders. Screening and assessment guidelines are presented as well as steps to consider when developing a treatment plan that includes medication use. In addition, treatment appropriateness and considerations for each of the three FDA approved medications are discussed as well as factors to consider when monitoring patient progress.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss current use of medications to treat alcohol use disorders and factors that contribute to its underutilization.
2. Identify strategies to screen for risky alcohol use and to assess the need for medication assisted treatment to treat alcohol use disorders.
3. Assess how to set goals for medication assisted treatment and how to develop the components of an appropriate treatment plan.
4. Describe ways to integrate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies into treatment and to address co-occurring disorders when needed.
5. List unique considerations when treating special populations such as adolescents, pregnant and postpartum women, and older adults.
6. Evaluate recommendations and considerations when initiating treatment with acamprosate, disulfiram, and naltraxone.
7. Discuss best practices to monitor ongoing treatment for patients receiving medication assisted interventions for alcohol use disorders.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2019-08-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.