This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
A greater number of research findings have incorporated the effects of abuse and neglect on the developing brain, especially during infancy and early childhood. This brief, intermediate level continuing education course, developed using material from Child Welfare Information Gateway, provides basic facts on typical brain development and the potential effects of abuse and neglect on that development. The information is designed to help professionals understand the emotional, mental, and behavioral impact of early abuse and neglect in children who have been exposed to chaotic or threatening environments.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss genetic and environmental processes involved in brain development through adolescence.
2. Highlight sensitive windows of time in the developmental process when certain parts of the brain may be most susceptible to particular experiences.
3. Summarize how child maltreatment or other forms of toxic stress can negatively affect brain development, including impact on brain structure and activity.
4. Differentiate between the three levels of stress experienced throughout the lifespan and how they may effect brain development.
5. Outline how changes in brain development caused by child abuse, neglect, or toxic stress can harm children’s behavioral, social, and emotional functioning.
6. Identify recent trends in child welfare that may help provide a more caring view of the world to an abused or neglected child.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.