This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
College culture, environment, demographics, experiences, and stressors contribute to the prevalence of substance misuse and mental health issues among college and university students. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA), is to discuss trends, social influences, and consequences of substance misuse, as well as factors that contribute to mental illness among this population. Use and misuse of alcohol, illicit drugs, medication, and tobacco is outlined, as well as prevention measures. In addition, the connection between college life, behavioral health struggles, and help seeking is presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe how substance misuse and mental health issues impact today’s young adults as they enter colleges and universities, and predict how such issues may further develop during the college years.
2. Discuss the prevalence of substance use and misuse among college students, the social influences that contribute to use, consequences, and prevention strategies.
3. Compare alcohol, illicit drug, medication, and tobacco use/misuse among college students.
4. Assess how aspects of the college environment, including accessibility, policies and practices, and established norms and culture can influence the social climate for drinking and misusing substances.
5. Identify factors that contribute to and exacerbate mental health issues among college students.
6. List strategies to create coordinated and proactive approaches to behavioral health, including counseling, suicide prevention, and crisis management.
7. Explain how current knowledge and resources can be utilized to enhance prevention efforts targeting the college population.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.