This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Acquiring cultural knowledge and clinical skills for the specific racial and ethnic groups being served is critical in providing culturally responsive behavioral health treatment. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s publication, Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series No. 59, Improving Cultural Competence, provides insight into how a client’s identification with one or more cultural groups influences the client’s identity, patterns of substance use, beliefs surrounding health and healing, and treatment expectations and preferences. In addition to strategies for engaging clients of diverse racial and ethnic groups, beliefs about and traditions involving substance use and treatment patterns, attitudes, and considerations are summarized.
1. Describe epidemiological data and salient aspects of behavioral health treatment for the major racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
2. Explain how a client’s identification with one or more cultural groups influences the client’s identity and patterns of substance use.
3. Compare and contrast beliefs surrounding health and healing, help-seeking behavior, and treatment expectations and preferences for various racial and ethnic groups.
4. Discuss how cultural competence and knowledge enhances proficiency in clinical skills, programmatic development, and administrative practices.
5. Identify core culturally responsive principles for counseling individuals from diverse ethnic groups.
6. Predict how mental illness and co-occurring disorders may impact client’s functioning, identities, and cultural way of life.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.