This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Acquiring cultural knowledge and clinical skills for the specific racial and ethnic groups being served is critical in providing culturally responsive behavioral health treatment. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s publication, Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series No. 59, Improving Cultural Competence, provides insight into how a client’s identification with one or more cultural groups influences the client’s identity, patterns of substance use, beliefs surrounding health and healing, and treatment expectations and preferences. In addition to strategies for engaging clients of diverse racial and ethnic groups, beliefs about and traditions involving substance use and treatment patterns, attitudes, and considerations are summarized.
1. Describe epidemiological data and salient aspects of behavioral health treatment for the major racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
2. Explain how a client’s identification with one or more cultural groups influences the client’s identity and patterns of substance use.
3. Compare and contrast beliefs surrounding health and healing, help-seeking behavior, and treatment expectations and preferences for various racial and ethnic groups.
4. Discuss how cultural competence and knowledge enhances proficiency in clinical skills, programmatic development, and administrative practices.
5. Identify core culturally responsive principles for counseling individuals from diverse ethnic groups.
6. Predict how mental illness and co-occurring disorders may impact client’s functioning, identities, and cultural way of life.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.