This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
This intermediate level continuing education course was developed to summarize The Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information ('Privacy Rule') which was developed to assist in implementing the requirement of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ('HIPAA'). The Privacy Rule standards address the use and disclosure of individuals' health information called 'protected health information' by organizations subject to the Privacy Rule known as 'covered entities.' The standards also address individuals' privacy rights to understand and control how their health information is used. Although the summary, presented by the U.S. Office for Civil Rights, is not meant to be relied on as a source of legal advice, it provides practical information as well as instructions on how to view and apply the complete rule. This course is appropriate for assisting professionals, students, and consumers in appropriately protecting health information. It would also assist those serving in supervisorial or administrative capacities that are responsible for ensuring compliance with HIPAA and the Privacy Rule.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe the key elements of the Privacy Rule to determine how it strikes a balance that permits important uses of pertinent health information, while protecting the privacy of people who seek care and healing.
2. Identify the 'covered entities' for which the Rule applies including health plans, health care clearinghouses, and any health care providers who transmit health information in electronic form in connection with transactions for which the Secretary of HHS has adopted standards under HIPAA.
3. Compare 'individually identifiable health information' with 'de-identified health information' including uses and restrictions
4. Analyze the basic principles of required disclosures, and permitted uses and disclosures of the privacy rule.
5, Assess the covered entity's responsibility in obtaining an individual's authorization to use or disclose psychotherapy notes and any exceptions to this responsibility.
6, Discuss appropriate administrative requirements for the implementation of the privacy rule.
7. Identify state laws and federal requirements that pertain to the Privacy Rule as well as enforcement and penalties for noncompliance.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.