This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth, and those who are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity (LGBTQ youth) experience significant health and behavioral health disparities. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), is to provide mental health professionals and families with accurate information about effective and ineffective therapeutic practices related to children’s and adolescent’s sexual orientation and gender identity. Specifically, the detrimental impact of conversion therapy, the process of changing an individual’s sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, is discussed.
1. Summarize the best current evidence regarding understandings of child and adolescent sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
2. Outline the characteristics of appropriate therapeutic approaches for sexual and gender minority youth.
3. Identify the components of conversion therapy, and how the guiding ethical principles of behavioral health professionals conflict with its premise.
4. Compare research findings related to sexual orientation and gender in childhood to those specific to adolescence.
5. Discuss how reducing discrimination and negative social attitudes towards LGBT identities and individuals can help to facilitate the elimination of conversion therapy.
6. Describe ways to promote family and community acceptance and support for LBBTQ children and adolescents.
7. Evaluate how disseminating information to behavioral health providers, as well as endorsing legislative, regulatory, and legal efforts can help to encourage positive and appropriate alternatives for LGBT youth.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.