This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Suicide rates are higher among older adults than in the general population, and in addition to the thousands of older adults who die by suicide, many more have made suicide attempts and suffer from the emotional pain of suicidal thoughts. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), provides an overview of suicide among older adults, how to address the problem, and three key strategies that can be used to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide among this population. In addition, specific tools to carry out the strategies are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Provide an overview of suicide among older adults, including risk and protective factors, and ways to address the problem of suicide among the elderly.
2. Identify strategies to promote emotional health among older adults and describe specific programs, services, and activities that support older adults and help them develop positive social connections.
3. Discuss how to identify older adults who may be at risk for suicide and who may be experiencing related mental health or substance use problems.
4. Describe the emotional impact that a suicide attempt or death can have on older adults, their families, other caregivers, as well as community members.
5. Outline ways that older adults can look out for the well-being of themselves and others and ways to connect to behavioral health resources in the community as needed.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.