CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Suicide rates are higher among older adults than in the general population, and in addition to the thousands of older adults who die by suicide, many more have made suicide attempts and suffer from the emotional pain of suicidal thoughts. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), provides an overview of suicide among older adults, how to address the problem, and three key strategies that can be used to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide among this population. In addition, specific tools to carry out the strategies are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Provide an overview of suicide among older adults, including risk and protective factors, and ways to address the problem of suicide among the elderly.
2. Identify strategies to promote emotional health among older adults and describe specific programs, services, and activities that support older adults and help them develop positive social connections.
3. Discuss how to identify older adults who may be at risk for suicide and who may be experiencing related mental health or substance use problems.
4. Describe the emotional impact that a suicide attempt or death can have on older adults, their families, other caregivers, as well as community members.
5. Outline ways that older adults can look out for the well-being of themselves and others and ways to connect to behavioral health resources in the community as needed.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.