This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 10.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) now affect approximately 1 in 88 American children, and have lifelong effects on individual functioning in areas such as learning, relationships, and independence in daily life. The purpose of this intermediate level course is to provide information and tools to support individuals with ASDs and their families. It is also designed to assist healthcare and mental health professionals, educators, and other community-based service providers in making informed decisions about selection, implementation, and monitoring of ASD interventions. The course was developed using information from the Missouri Autism Guidelines Initiative which describes evidence-based interventions for individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) based on six recent nationally recognized systematic research reviews. The process for assisting individuals with ASDs is presented, including a comprehensive assessment for intervention planning, development and implementation of an intervention plan, and progress monitoring.
CE Course Objctives
1. Identify the need for scientific research as the foundation of evidence-based practice and decision making regarding ASD interventions.
2. Evaluate the importance of family-centered care, early interventions, informed personal judgments, and community collaborations to assist individuals with ASDs and their families.
3. Describe the intervention process of using assessment results to develop an individualized intervention plan, identifying goals, selecting interventions, and determining procedures for monitoring the individual’s progress.
4. Review healthcare case examples that illustrate the use of various interventions to assist those with autism spectrum disorders.
5. Determine the roles of healthcare, education, and other service professionals who represent multiple disciplines and multiple service delivery systems as they collaborate to assist individuals with ASDs.
6. List effective ASD behavioral interventions and medical and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) interventions identified in the six recent nationally recognized systematic reviews.
7. Discuss ineffective and harmful ASD interventions based on research evidence, the limitations of available research, and the need for additional research in this area.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.