This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
With the recognition of addiction as a major health problem in this country, demand has increased for effective treatments of substance use disorders, and group therapy has come to be regarded as a means to provide curative forces that are not always experienced by the client in individual therapy. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, describes the purpose, main characteristics, leadership, and techniques of five group therapy models to assist those who are struggling with substance use disorders. Additionally, the many considerations that should be weighed before placing a client in groups are discussed as well as issues that arise from client diversity.
1. Define how therapeutic groups are used in substance abuse treatment, advantages of group treatment, and ways to modify group therapy to treat substance abuse.
2. Summarize the differences between 12-step sel-fhelp groups and interpersonal process groups.
3. Identify the characteristics of the five group therapy models that are effective for substance abuse treatment.
4. Determine ways in which specialized groups such as relapse prevention, communal and culturally specific groups, and expressive groups can be effectively integrated into substance abuse treatment programs.
5. Evaluate the purposes, characteristics, techniques, and leadership styles of problem-solving groups that focus on problematic behavior.
6. Outline strategies for matching clients with groups to meet their needs and to assess client readiness for group participation.
7. Discuss specific considerations for placing clients from racial or ethnic minorities in groups and the most effective way to address the substance abuse problem in a manner that is congruent with the client’s culture.
8. Analyze steps that clinicians can take to evaluate their biases and prejudices in order to more effectively interpret and assist with their clients’ behavior.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.