CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
With the recognition of addiction as a major health problem in this country, demand has increased for effective treatments of substance use disorders, and group therapy has come to be regarded as a means to provide curative forces that are not always experienced by the client in individual therapy. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, describes the purpose, main characteristics, leadership, and techniques of five group therapy models to assist those who are struggling with substance use disorders. Additionally, the many considerations that should be weighed before placing a client in groups are discussed as well as issues that arise from client diversity.
1. Define how therapeutic groups are used in substance abuse treatment, advantages of group treatment, and ways to modify group therapy to treat substance abuse.
2. Summarize the differences between 12-step sel-fhelp groups and interpersonal process groups.
3. Identify the characteristics of the five group therapy models that are effective for substance abuse treatment.
4. Determine ways in which specialized groups such as relapse prevention, communal and culturally specific groups, and expressive groups can be effectively integrated into substance abuse treatment programs.
5. Evaluate the purposes, characteristics, techniques, and leadership styles of problem-solving groups that focus on problematic behavior.
6. Outline strategies for matching clients with groups to meet their needs and to assess client readiness for group participation.
7. Discuss specific considerations for placing clients from racial or ethnic minorities in groups and the most effective way to address the substance abuse problem in a manner that is congruent with the client’s culture.
8. Analyze steps that clinicians can take to evaluate their biases and prejudices in order to more effectively interpret and assist with their clients’ behavior.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.