This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule provides consumers with important privacy rights and protections with respect to their health information. This brief, intermediate level continuing education course was developed using information from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services in order to demonstrate how HIPAA ensures strong privacy protections to help maintain individuals’ trust in their health care providers and willingness to obtain needed mental health care services. Additionally, some of the more frequently asked questions about when it is appropriate under the Privacy Rule for a health care provider to share the protected health information of a patient who is being treated for a mental health condition are addressed.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify when HIPAA regulations permit health care providers to communicate with a patient’s family members, friends, or others involved in the patient’s care, including when a patient is an adult or minor.
2. Summarize factors that impact patients' capacity to agree or object to the sharing of their information.
3. Describe when it is appropriate to involve a patient’s family members, friends, or others in dealing with patient failures to adhere to medication or other therapy.
4. Identify guidelines to communicate with family members, law enforcement, or others when the patient presents a serious and imminent threat of harm to self or others.
5. Clarify when HIPAA permits communication with law enforcement about the release of a patient brought in for an emergency psychiatric hold.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.