CE Credit Hours: 8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
Clinical research and practice indicates that a significant percentage of clients in treatment for substance abuse experience depressive symptoms. The purpose of this continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMSHA), is to provide strategies to manage depressive symptoms in substance abuse clients during early recovery. The nature and extent of depressive symptoms in clients receiving substance abuse treatment, counselor role and responsibilities, screening and assessment, treatment planning, and continuing care are discussed. In addition, vignettes of counseling sessions with clients who are experiencing depressive symptoms are presented.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Provide an overview of the nature and extent of depressive symptoms in clients receiving substance abuse treatment.
2. Discuss pertinent issues for substance abuse counselors including types of counseling approaches, issues related to the work setting, cultural concerns, and counselor roles and responsibilities.
3. Identify ways to prepare to work with clients with depressive symptoms and to understand their world.
4. Describe ways that screening and assessment can be integrated so that substance abuse and depressive symptoms are each explored within the context of the other.
5. Summarize the components of client-centered treatment planning along with the principles, skills, techniques, and resources used to implement treatment strategies.
6. Evaluate special considerations related to treatment termination with clients who have experienced depressive symptoms as well as special considerations for continuing care.
7. Review representative vignettes of counseling sessions with clients experiencing depressive symptoms, including how-to descriptions of specific counseling techniques.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2017-09-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: email@example.com or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.