This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Clinical research and practice indicates that a significant percentage of clients in treatment for substance abuse experience depressive symptoms. The purpose of this continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMSHA), is to provide strategies to manage depressive symptoms in substance abuse clients during early recovery. The nature and extent of depressive symptoms in clients receiving substance abuse treatment, counselor role and responsibilities, screening and assessment, treatment planning, and continuing care are discussed. In addition, vignettes of counseling sessions with clients who are experiencing depressive symptoms are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Provide an overview of the nature and extent of depressive symptoms in clients receiving substance abuse treatment.
2. Discuss pertinent issues for substance abuse counselors including types of counseling approaches, issues related to the work setting, cultural concerns, and counselor roles and responsibilities.
3. Identify ways to prepare to work with clients with depressive symptoms and to understand their world.
4. Describe ways that screening and assessment can be integrated so that substance abuse and depressive symptoms are each explored within the context of the other.
5. Summarize the components of client-centered treatment planning along with the principles, skills, techniques, and resources used to implement treatment strategies.
6. Evaluate special considerations related to treatment termination with clients who have experienced depressive symptoms as well as special considerations for continuing care.
7. Review representative vignettes of counseling sessions with clients experiencing depressive symptoms, including how-to descriptions of specific counseling techniques.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.