CE Credit Hours: 7.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
With the current focus on Common Core State Standards in education, researchers and developers have been working on innovative methods to teach both academic vocabulary and content material to English learners in the context of regular classroom instruction. This intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education, is designed to provide strategies to enhance the language and literacy skills English learners need to be successful in school. Specifically, the guide offers four recommendations that emphasize academic vocabulary, content-area instruction, writing instruction, and small-group intervention for English learners who are struggling. Instructional opportunities that will enable students in grades K-8 to use and practice the English language are also presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify effective strategies to build academic vocabulary into a variety of instructional activities.
2. Determine best methods to integrate oral and written English language instruction into content-area teaching.
3. Summarize practical approaches that will enable educators to provide regular, structured opportunities to develop written language skills.
4. Describe how small-group instructional interventions can benefit students struggling in areas of literacy and English language development.
5. Review practical examples of classroom strategies that may be used to carry out the expert panel’s recommendations.
6. Evaluate roadblocks that professionals may face as they implement new interventions, and identify possible solutions.
7. Outline research findings pertaining to the teaching of academic content and literacy to English learners.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2016-10-04
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.