CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
Many experts contend that individuals who abuse or are dependent on stimulant drugs need a structured, evidence-based treatment program. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA), is to introduce the Matrix Intensive Outpatient Treatment for People With Stimulant Use Disorders (IOP). The approach provides substance abuse treatment professionals with an intensive outpatient treatment model for clients and their families that includes structured programming and continuing care. Program components, the role of the counselor, leaders and facilitators, and goals of individual and conjoint sessions are discussed. Additionally, objectives, formats, counseling approaches, and special considerations for early recovery skills groups are presented as well as specific techniques to use during program sessions.
CEU Course Objectives
1, Provide an overview of the Matrix Intensive Outpatient Treatment for People With Stimulant Use Disorders, including program components, counselor roles, and the use of co-leaders and client-facilitators.
2. Summarize the goals, format, and guidelines of individual and conjoint sessions for treating clients who abuse or are dependent on stimulant drugs.
3. Discuss the objectives, characteristics, counselor approaches, and special considerations for The Early Recovery Skills (ERS) group.
4. Identify specific strategies to stop the cycle of drug use, identify internal and external triggers, introduce self-help or mutual-help activities, and address common challenges in early recovery.
5. Outline the components of a continuing treatment plan, including supporting recovery through group work, individual and couples therapy, and self-help meetings.
6. Describe the general format and flow of individual or group sessions to treat clients with stimulant use disorders, and guidelines for counselors to help clients recognize their progress, manage their time, and address any concerns they have.
7. Review the goals of testing for substances in treatment and how to address a positive test result.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2017-11-03
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest or relevant financial relationship was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1-800-413-3797, so arrangements can be made.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.