CE Credit Hours: 1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
The reclassiﬁcation of gambling disorder within the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) from the impulse control disorders category to the addictions category marks an important step for addiction science. The purpose of this brief, advanced level course, developed using information from The Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, is to address neural and psychological markers associated with addiction vulnerability and how they manifest in gambling disorder. Additionally, insights into neural and cognitive consequences that are seen in gambling disorders are considered as well as how understanding the neurobiological foundations of gambling disorder may help to inform decisions for future behavioral disorder research.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss the DSM-5 reclassification of gambling disorder from an impulse control disorder to the addictions category and how this may impact addiction science.
2. Compare and contrast the neurotoxicity of drugs of abuse to the neurotoxicity associated with gambling disorder.
3. Identify how pathophysiology within the brain reward system impacts gambling disorder.
4. Describe what is known about the potency of drugs of abuse as they target brain systems, and what this may mean for the study of behavioral issues such as gambling disorder.
5. Summarize emerging evidence suggesting that individuals with gambling disorder may be more prone to gambling-related cognitive distortions.
6. Evaluate ways that data on the neurobiological foundations of gambling disorder may help to inform decisions for future inclusion of addictive behaviors as behavioral disorders.
7. Outline ways in which the psychological properties that underlie the addictive capacity of gambling can be extended to video game play, overeating, and compulsive shopping.
The Mindful team consists of numerous behavioral health professionals with a plethora of clinical experience as well as backgrounds in higher education, including teaching at the university level. Our three consulting psychologists review the appropriate course material, based on their experience and expertise that aligns with program content, to ensure that it enhances interdisciplinary understanding and is consistent with a systematic, research-based approach to promoting continued education and for synthesizing new knowledge into the clinician’s professional environment.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-09-05
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.